Ancestral Bunt Homes of Tulunadu
Gayathri Shetty and Sayeegeetha Hegde
Gayathri Shetty studied Architecture from BMS College of Engineering, and she and Namith Varma started their practice GNA in 1993, both having worked previously at Mistry Architects. The award-winning Paathshala at Sringeri and Tribal Housing at BR Hills are some of their early projects.
GN Heritage Matters, an integral branch, was established in 2012 as an associate division of Gayathri and Namith Architects. The firm offers consultancy services in the field of Architectural Conservation, Conservation Management and Planning, Research and Documentation. Some of the ongoing projects are parts of the Mysore Palace and the Srijayachamarajendra Art Gallery, Jagan Mohan Palace, Mysuru for His Highness Srikantadutta Narasimharaja Wadiyar Foundation (HHSNW) and the restoration of the Durbar Hall, University College for Women Koti (the former British Residency), Hyderabad for the World Monuments Fund, New York.
Gayathri Shetty rendered support to the Institute of Indian Interior Designers (IIID) Bangalore Regional Chapter as the Chairperson and is presently Jt. Hon. Secretary of the National Executive Committee and Chairperson IIID Design Excellence Awards.
In addition, Gayathri is also involved in an upcoming publication about the traditional knowledge systems that have contributed to the building techniques and construction practices of Dakshina Kannada, which are increasingly fading away as they are neither rigorously documented nor actively passed on to posterity. This publication aims to take the first step in helping to spread this knowledge to the widespread Bunt diaspora worldwide to create awareness amidst the community to protect this rich cultural heritage. It further intends to reach people from a variety of fields, students, colleges of architecture, and so on, and to disseminate the learning about the vernacular heritage of Dakshina Kannada.
Gayathri Shetty and Namith Varma have received over 32 awards and recognition for their work including the following:
- J K Architect of the Year Commendation Award for Recycling of Architectural Heritage 1995
- Inside Outside Designer of the Year Award for Eco-friendly Architecture 1997
- Shortlisted for the Aga Khan Awards for Excellence in Architecture from India, 2000
- IIID-MK 2006 Award for Large Corporate Office
- Ace of Space Award – for Best Hospitality Project
- Shortlisted in World Architectural Fest 2012 – Category – Hotel
- First Award for MG Road Boulevard and Second Award for Jaquar HQ at International Award for Sustainable Architecture Awards 2018
- Best Architectural Practice at the BAM Awards 2018.