Beary – The Many Language Worlds of Karnataka
N A Mahamed Ismail and B M Haneef
BM Haneef is a journalist who started his career in 1984 at the Kannada daily Mungaru. For the last 33 years he has been working with Prajavani. He has written over 15 books including one on Bose, Secular Senani Subhash Chandra Bose, and one on Jinnah, Jinnah Komuvadi. His short story collection, Manji Rava Fry, won the Dr. UR Ananthamurthy Award of the Karnataka Sangha Shivamogga. Some of his stories have been translated into Hindi and English, and have been included in university textbooks. He has also written a number of articles on socio-political and human rights issues, language, culture, cinema and literature. He was the co-writer for the script and wrote dialogues for the Kannada film Haseena directed by Girish Kasaravalli, which won the National Award.
Haneef was the Editor for the Beary translation project of Saint Kanakadasa’s literature. He worked as a guide for the Beary-Kannada-English lexicon of the Karnataka Beary Sahitya Academy, and he has directed two documentary films on Beary language and culture for the Beary Academy.
The awards he has received include the following:
- Lifetime Achievement Award from the Karnataka Media Academy
- Sandesha Media Award for excellence in journalism
- Honorary Award from the Karnataka Beary Sahitya Academy
- Lifetime Achievement Award from the Karnataka Union of Working Journalists
- Karavali Siri Award from the Tulu Koota, Bangalore.