Y V Reddy was the Chairman of the Fourteenth Finance Commission of India from 1 st Feb. 2013 to 31 st December 2014, a Constitutional body with the rank of Union Cabinet Minister.
During 2008-13, he has been active in academic arena, and was associated with University of Hyderabad, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, and Columbia University, New York.
During September 2003 – September 2008, he was Governor of the Reserve Bank of India.
In 2010, he was awarded India’s second highest civilian honour, the Padma Vibhushan.
On 17 July 2008, he was made an Honorary Fellow of the London School of Economics. He was awarded Honoris Causa by University of Mauritius
He served as a member of the United Nation’s Commission of Experts on Reforms of the International Monetary and Financial System. He was also on the Advisory Board of Institute for New Economic Thinking (INET).
Prior to being appointed as Governor, he had served as Executive Director, International Monetary Fund; as Secretary, Government of India; and Principal Secretary, Government of Andhra Pradesh.
Dr. Reddy was the Conference President of the 97 th Annual Conference, of the Indian Economic Association, in 2014. Earlier he was President of Indian Econometric Society.
Currently, Dr. Reddy is Honorary Professor, Centre for Economic and Social Studies (CESS), Hyderabad, India.
He has written extensively on economic issues – particularly relating to fiscal policy, central banking, and the global crisis. His most recent publications include:
- Dr. Reddy’s latest book titled “Advice & Dissent: My Life in Public Service” has been published by Harper Collins India in June 2017.
- Financial and Fiscal Policies (co-authored), published by Oxford University Press, in 2014.
- Economic Policies and India’s Reform Agenda: New Thinking, Public by Orient BlackSwan, in 2013.
- Of Economics, Policy and Development – An Intellectual Journey by I.G. PATEL (co- edited), published by Oxford University Press, in 2012.
- Global Crisis, Recession and Uneven Recovery, published by Orient BlackSwan, in 2010.
- India and the Global Financial Crisis – Managing Money and Finance, published by Orient BlackSwan, in 2009.